Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Week Three Prompt

Pull up a chair, the owl is in. Before this week's annotation, here is a lovely prompt about using Novelist and other book sites when looking for something to read.

First Part 1- Using Novelist.

1. I typed in "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" and it instantly came up. I then set it sort  by " Volume" and after scrolling past the seven graphic novels, I found the regular books. I look for the fourth book and got-
The Lunatic Cafe.


2. I reset the search to title and typed " Prodigal Summer". Once I got the book, I click on the " Print All" on the box of Read-a-likes. Browsing over how each book is described, the one that might work for fast-paced is-  
Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani  ( it lists Pace as " Fast Paced)
    3. This was been a bit of a challenge based on how I worded the search.I decided to do an Advanced  Search, so I typed in " Historical" (and set it " GENRE")  and " Japan" and  about 400 results. I then went to location and just selected " Japan" which shorten it to 287. I then clicked on genre and  selected " historical fiction" which shorten the results to 89.I would probably need to ask  what type of aspects  the patron wants to learn about historical Japan ( and maybe what the book set in China that they  read) to get a better picture of what to recommend. I might even read or show the patron some of the titles to get their opinion. Some of the recommended titles are:
    • Shogun (Asian saga 1) by James Clavell (along with five other books in the Asian saga series)
    • The Pure Land by Alan Spence
    • Scent of Sake by Joyce Lebra
    • Pillow Book of the Flower Samuri by Barbara Lazer
    • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
    4. I typed in " Well-Schooled in Murder" and got four books written by Elizabeth George. I went to " Title Read A Likes" and got nine recommendations, including -
    • Still Life by Louise Penny
    • The Man with a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes
    I'm thinking these titles since it sounds like the patron were prefer leisure, gentle reads than dark and edgy.
    5. I entered " World War Z" in the Search Bar, then once I got the entry page, I went to Title Read A Likes. Some of the  recommended titles include:
    •  Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    • I am Legend by Richard Matheson
    • The Dead Run  by Adam Mansbach
    Part B- What exactly do I use?

    I'll be honest. I actually do not use a whole lot of book databases when it comes to selecting what I read. My method would actually need a whole another entry to explain other than it kind of works by the seasons and holidays ( for example, during November, December and maybe early January, I would be doing light, heartwarming holiday reads by Richard Paul Evans or Debbie Macomber). I do use them occasionally. Here is what I use:
    • Novelist - I  use more for the patrons if needed ( actually used today because a mom was looking for a Read-a-Like similar to Fablehaven series for her 8-yr-old ( who also read all the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books). Found Spiderwick Chronicles and a lot of YA fantasy series). I use it sometimes for myself, but not all the time ( will be to look for Read-A-Likes for the annotations).
    • Shelfari (http://www.shelfari.com)) - I have an account, I use to keep track of the books I read ( currently about 1,200 books. Yes, I read a lot, about 2-4 some books a week.) 
    • Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/)-Just learned about this at work ( and they do have their own account, listing a lot of the books that are part of the staff-recommended display). Other than also using it for the Read-a-Likes for the annotations, I prefer Shelfari.
    •  Cozy Mysteries ( http://www.cozy-mystery.com/)- This is just a site featuring cozy ( amateur) mysteries, also regular mysteries and non-mysteries. I haven't read a cozy in a while, but love Laura Levine ( Jaine Austen), Cleo Coyle ( Coffee House Mysteries) and Laura Childs ( Tea Shop Mysteries)
    Well, I hope that covers all that is required for this prompt.  Thank you for your time

    6 comments:

    1. I like how you searched for the 3rd question. I didn't realize that you could click on a type of genre you were looking for-that's an extremely useful tool to know about!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Just something I figure out. I think I went a little overboard on that question.

        Delete
    2. I like seeing the resources you use to find books. I haven't heard of some of them. I'm especially interested in the Cozy Mysteries. I think that will have some hidden gems :) The link for Shelfari didn't work, but I searched for it and found the website. It looks similar to Goodreads (which I use). I've been hearing bad things about Goodreads lately because of supposed "bullies" - people reviewing books in a negative manner. I think many people are turning to other book review sources as a result. I find that books usually fall somewhere in the middle of the extremely positive and extremely negative reviews, so it doesn't bother me to see crazy reviews. I once tweeted to my sister about a book (making it a slightly more private public conversation) and the author TWEETED ME BACK. I was mortified. I explained why I felt the way I did about her book, and she ended up being nicer and agreeing with me. Her fans...not so much. I had to block a few crazy supporters. It was a rough few months. It makes me a little more reserved in my reviews which I don't think is fair. Can't I have an opinion? Sorry...rant over. Lol. Have you done many reviews? Are shelves on Shelfari public?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Fix link, should work now. I'm trying to remember if they are public, will have to see.

        Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing your sites. I like the shelfari and the cozy mystery site. I is great to see how others look for books. It is great you can keep track of the books you read. I'm glad this class is getting me to read more fiction books.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Update- forgot to mention that I also use Barnes and Noble.com, Amazon.com and something called Wowlibrary.

      ReplyDelete