Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Audio/Ebook prompt

Pull up a chair, the owl is in.







Image from http://www.hitechreview.com

Referring back to the book review prompt(and any posting on other class blogs related to this prompt) , I'm not really an Ebook reader. Yes, the family does have a Nook, but I usually play games on it ( like Angry Birds and puzzle games.) I like the actual feel of a book, and even after playing games on the Nook or  when I do read something on the computer ( be it a TV recap or that 120-something Ebook report that I did not feel like printing out), my eyes tend to get tired and watery. So I don't know if I would ever convert to the Ebook. I can see some purpose, such as for reading magazines ( less paper, no ads) and the romance/erotica books ( because some of the covers are really racy.) I don't think it affects appeal since almost anything can be a Ebook. And I think someone in this class mentioned Chick Lit Central  
( which is this blog related to female-related books of print and online) and some of the books look really good ( to those that recall my Women's Lives and Relationship annotation, I'm a huge chick lit fan.) But I'm old-schooled, I like seeing  TWO pages, not one. And I really hope to still hold an actual book when reading to the kids, not worrying if I am blocking the screen or if the tablet has died.

As for audiobooks, I do them once and awhile, depending on who the narrator is, or if I had read the book before (and want to get it again but can't.) I think the last time I did an audiobook was Someday, Someday, Maybe because the author, Lauren Graham, was the narrator and I want to see how she did the characters ( plus I'm Gilmore Girl fan). I've never done  Overdrive ( which again, I don't feel like sitting at a computer for a long period of time. I don't even do TV on the web unless there's something I really want to catch up on. Understand Overdrive is beneficial in that the person does not have to worry about keeping track of CDs.) To be honest, I actually miss the old tape and book sets ( where there was a "ding" to turn the page) and kind of wish this was done for books on CD (at least for Childrens' because I do get patrons, especially teachers, who get the audiobooks for their listening corner and want about 2 or 3 book copies.) And again, I don't think it affects appeal (maybe pace if you are following along with the narrator.) I might do audiobooks for books I physically cannot get ( I know Divergent is really hard to get right now because of the movie) but I think I will always prefer an actual book over the digital format.

Well, hope that covers the prompt. I've reading YA books for an upcoming annotation and getting my inner Barney ready to entertain some infants next week.Thank you for your time.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely have the same issue with my eyes getting watery when I look at a computer screen too long, I wish I had the ability to use a paperwhite filter. I still enjoy holding a book while I read, especially outside on my porch in the summer. I agree, it's just not the same to read off an eBook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned I liked to listen to a New Testament audio - James Earl Jones narrates part of it - his booming voice makes the earth shake & I get to hear how some of the bible names are pronounced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLA online recently had an article about the physical effects of e-reading. They mention many of the issue you and others have discussed (tired, watery eyes, fatigue, disorientation because because the reader is uncertain the number of pages read or remaining.)
    http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2014/02/the-physical-effects-of-e-reading/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have listened to a few audiobooks that are on tape. I like it when the author narrates the books, like Rosie O'Donnell. I also like to pick up a book unless it is really heavy, but it is harder to look through the book with an ereader. I have to look away from the computer screen when reading my assignments online because it does bother my eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seven of the e-books on Indy PL's Overdrive site are read-along storybooks. (There might be more, but these are the ones that I know of.) For these, the book is laid out on the screen (like in a paper book), a narrator reads the story, the sound happens at the turn of the page, and the words are highlighted as the book is read. It is an interesting format, and I'm hoping that more like it will show up in the listing. It seems like a good option. A search that pulled up these seven is here: http://ecollection.imcpl.org/00F9A784-147F-48DE-A14D-ABB8729D3967/10/50/en/SearchResults.htm?SearchID=26497630s&SortBy=relevancy (If the search doesn't show correctly, I searched for "read along" and limited it to the Disney Online e-books.)

    ReplyDelete